Portugal Golden Visa Statistics
Last updated on September 16th, 2021
Portugal Golden Visa Statistics
Portugal Golden Visa is a highly favored residency by investment program in our community. Thanks to its multiple investment options, low stay requirements, and profitable nature, it’s very popular among digital nomads, frequent travelers, and families.
Portugal Immigration and Borders Service (SEF) releases the monthly and cumulative data for Golden Visa. Here are Portugal Golden Visa statistics as of August 2021.
Portugal Golden Visa Statistics for August 2021
According to the latest data released by SEF at the end of August 2021,
- 64 main applicants received their Golden Visa,
- 79 family members accompanied the main applicants as their dependents.
Below is the breakdown of the nationalities for August:
- 19 China
- 9 United Arab Emirates
- 5 Russia
- 3 Canada
- 3 Brazil
In terms of investment type, here is the breakdown for August:
- 56 applicants opted to proceed with real estate acquisition
- 40 applicants for €500,000+ properties
- 16 applicants for €350,000 renovated properties
- 8 applicants opted to go for capital transfer
- 3 applicants for Portuguese Golden Visa funds
- 5 applicants for capital transfer + job creation
Portugal Golden Visa has attracted €35,333,660.06 into Portugal in August.
All Time Portugal Golden Visa Statistics: 2012-2021
Nationalities That Have Applied for Portugal Golden Visa (2012-2021)
Since the start of the Golden Visa program in Portugal, the Chinese have continuously been the main source of applications. Brazil is second in terms of nationalities, followed by Turkey.
The table below shows the nationalities that have acquired a Portugal Golden Visa between 2012 and 2021.
Since October 2012, 9,939 investors have received their Golden Visas and 16,841 family members have accompanied them. €5,934,165,237.77 has been invested in Portugal Golden Visa since then.
Investment in Real Estate: 9,321 residence permits
- Real Estate / €500,000: 8,420 residence permits
- Real Estate / €350,000 Urban Rehabilitation: 901 residence permits
Capital Transfer: 590 residence permits
- €1 million Capital Transfer in a Portuguese Bank: 492 residence permits
- €350,000 Investment Fund: 99 residence permits
- €350,000 Capital Transfer + Creation of Jobs: 6 residence permits
- €250,000 donation to cultural heritage in Portugal: 1 residence permit
Creation of 10Full Time Jobs: 20 residence permits
Changes to Portugal Golden Visa (effective as of January 2022)
In February 2020, the Portuguese Parliament passed a budget proposal that aims to modify the Portuguese Golden Visa program. The parliament’s goal is to encourage investment in low-density areas, urban rehabilitation, employment creation, and cultural heritage preservation.
According to this;
- The minimum investment amount for the Investment Fund option will increase to €500,000 from €350,000.
- The minimum investment amount for the Capital Transfer option will increase to €1.5 million from €1 million.
- Only property investments made in low-density areas of Portugal are going to qualify for a Golden Visa. This means that purchasing property in Lisbon or Porto will no longer qualify.
The changes to the Portugal Golden Visa will take effect on January 1, 2022.
Until the end of 2021, the current requirements will remain in place. As a result, you can take advantage of the cheaper investment amounts now. If you’re planning to apply, we suggest that you start the process as soon as you can as there is paperwork and some bureaucracy involved.
What Else You Need To Know
As we’ve briefly mentioned in the introduction, Portugal Golden Visa is highly popular in our community, especially among the ones from the US. Even one of them, Barbara was so kind to share her journey with us and our readers. Make sure you check out her Portugal Golden Visa journey for the first-hand experience. If you have any questions for her, please feel free to drop us an email and we’ll be more than happy to introduce you to each other.